On the 13th December 2010, one month after the Venky’s take over, Manager Sam Allardyce was mysteriously sacked by Blackburn Rovers.
Average attendances at Ewood Park, at the time, were 24,999. As supplied by Wikipedia.
Fast forward five years and Rovers gates have crashed. With an average in 2014/15 of 14,912. Gates have been in decline since the day Big Sam was shown the door. There are many reasons for this but more of that later. Attendances during and just before the Venky’s reign where ..
2009/10 25,000 (Premiership)
2010/11 24,999 (Premiership)
2011/12 22,551 (Premiership)
2012/13 14,997 (Championship)
2013/14 14,962 (Championship)
2014/15 14,912 (Championship)
2015/16 ?? (Championship)
Gates are falling fast. It is not all due to being in the Championship. In Rovers last spell in the Championship 1999/2000 average gate 19,253, 2000/2001 average gate 20,740.
Rovers Director of communications, Alan Myres, stated that gates need to be 20,000 for Rovers to break even financially. And this would not happen until promotion back to the Premiership. Rovers last spell in the Championship 1999/2001 disprove this theory.
The Venky’s reign has been a reign of error. Blackburn Rovers Football Club was in perfect working order when Venky’s bought it. Now it isn’t.
They have sucked the life out of the club and the fans.
I do not think Myres can even begin to comprehend the ill feeling towards Venky’s that exist in Blackburn.
Fans of long standing, no longer go to Ewood Park and will not whilst the club is under the current ownership. Sad but true. Venky’s run Blackburn Rovers like a corner shop, it is just a part of their business portfolio.
If the missing fans are even going to consider returning, Venky’s need to address and issue public statements on the following...
• Why was Allardyce sacked, and who advised his dismissal?
• Why was Steve Kean, a rookie Manager appointed, and who advised his appointment?
• Why did Chairman John Williams and Chief Executive Tom Finn leave the club, and why were two of Footballs finest administrators allowed to go?
• What was Jerome Andersons / Kentaro / SEM role at the club?
• Why were average players signed by the club for large fees and huge contracts. And who authorised this? Effectively bankrupting the club.
• Why was Andersons son, Myles Anderson given a Premiership contract and huge salary when he had not played a professional game for anyone at any level. Do Venkys and Anderson think the fans are stupid?
• Why are Venky’s not seeking legal redress against Jerome Anderson and his agencies for mismanagement and alleged malpractice? Or are they? We need to know; it is our money!
• Why has Mrs Anuradha Desai not issued a personal public apology for ruining our club and our lives.
I could go on and on, the list is endless. But until these issues are addressed the fans will not return Premiership or no Premiership despite, what Alan Myres thinks.
His pricing policy for the recent home game with Burnley was ridiculous. Resulting in a crowd of under 20,000 and Ewood Park a third empty. Scandalous.
His explanation that other clubs “Cashed in on big games” was ill-advised. Rovers are “not other clubs”. We have suffered five years of hell. We should be treated as the POUNDLAND of football. Small steps at a time to entice fans back. Not trying to cash in with premium prices for big games. Some Christmas and New Year promotions / discounts to the seasonal games would not go amiss.
For a comprehensive and well written assessment of the ‘VENKY'S REIGN OF ERROR’ - "THE STRANGE CASE OF STEVE KEAN’ - ‘ANDERSONS INVOLVEMENT’ - ‘THE PROTEST MOVEMENT’ - PLUS MANY OTHER EXCELLENT ARTICLES. GO TO WEBSITE, EWOOD PARK, THE CRADLE OF ENGLISH FOOTBALL. To follow link here